Bachelorette Weekend – Playa del Carmen
My final bachelorette celebration took place in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico at the RIU Tequila in late July 2018. The resort actually just re-opened renovations.
The trip was booked semi – last minute but very affordable and worth it. We booked through Southwest vacations who were offering an additional $200 off the total package per two persons! #winning We flew direct from BWI to Cancun and took a shared service ride to our resort by AmStar. Since we were a group of six ladies – we should have booked our own private transportation. The AmStar wait outside the airport was about 15 minutes then another 20 minutes to get all the passengers from different group on the shuttle. And the transportation back is a 50 (or so) seater bus as oppose to the arrival transportation being only 12 seater. The ride is about an hour as well. There is WiFi on the bus to the resort.
We coordinated a few of our outfits, purchased an engagement ring float and had a bride “oh sh8t” kit – which came in handy. The hotel did not have a pump so I recommend bringing your own for the float. We decorated the room a little with goodies from Amazon.
We order bride and bride entourage shirts from amazon for like ten dollars , which we wore to the airport. All black bathing suits and white for the bride that we wore to the beach with matching hats and did an All White night for the final dinner.
We didn’t actually experience the nightlife off the resort but there is a downtown area that seemed decent. There were also a few shops (and Starbucks) right when you leave the resort.
My review of the actual resort – RIU Tequila:
- Newly renovated
- No reservation needed for three main restaurants and the food was actually good (There are three – Asian, Steakhouse, and Italian)
- Access to other RIU resorts in the area
- Beds are comfortable and shower pressure was awesome
- Multiple pools and a swim up bar
- Kid friendly
- Not one big hotel – but has multiple villas
- Fairly large size resort (if multiple bookings, call ahead and ask them to room everyone in the same area)
- Lots of walking
- Dinner in the large buffet dining hall is just ok – so be on time to the restaurants
- Swim up bar closes at 6
- No direct access to beach ..1/2 mile walk – there is a shuttle service back and forth
- Kid friendly
Recommendations : I would definitely book this trip again!! The resort is a 3 star resort with some access to sister resorts that are more 4 stars. However, this one has the nightclub which played a mix of top 40 selections.
If booking tours, do it in advance!
Visit Cozumel if you can.
Visit Chichen Itza (Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico) it’s one of the seven wonders of the world
Thanks for reading and please share and leave comments.
‘Til next time -Adios Amigos !