The past 28 days came and went extremely fast, I swear I blinked it the month was over. Not only was it the wonderful and special black history month – because we are thankful for the road our ancestors have paved- but we are making so many great strides as African Americans. This month was special to me because I was able to accomplish so much on both a professional and personal note. But, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the tragedy that occurred at Parkland High School and send my heartfelt condolences to the families of those who departed and were impacted by this unfair and senseless shooting.
These are the moments that made BLACK HISTORY MONTH amazing (for me personally):
- This Afro girl officially started working in the children’s ministry at her church (because I love the kids).
- Speaking of the kids, #BECAUSEOFTHEM created the coolest remake of our favorite African-american news commentators to kick of Black History month including Angela Rye, April Ryan, Symone Sanders and Bakari Sellers. Creator Eunique Gibson also open her Dream village Headquarter in DMV (DC/MD/VA) area!!!
- Another team besides the Patriots won the Superbowl. Yes, congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles! Not to mention one of my favorite players (Torrey Smith) is on the team. But additionally, I loved how they passionately thank God for this opportunity and accomplishments.(To whom much is given, much is required )
- We fell in love with WAKANDA, the cast of Black Panther and the movie. I didn’t see the movie once or twice , I saw the movie THREE times and even in 3D. Yes, I believe it was that good. I know I wasn’t the only one, because it topped $700M after it’s second weekend out. I noticed something new each time I watched it. And we broke record for this movie – Yes, Yes, Yes!!
- I love that people dressed up in African attire or wore all black – to me it showed that people felt connected to the movie. Just like they do the Harry Potter’s or other Marvel films.
- The WAVE group held an “ENTER WAKANDA” Pop UP Bar in DC – very nice of them to bring the movie to life for us.
- I LOVE MY H.B.C.U and so happy I could attend this year’s HOMECOMING Celebration for the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Great times, better people and pretty good weather.
- Two of my favorite books (mentioned in previous blog) will adopted into films. Trevor Noah’s, “Born a crime” memoir and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s, “Americanah” are both in the works to be made into a movie. However, the best part is – they will be starring none other than our favorite lady : Lupita Nyong’o! Super excited about both of these remakes and can’t wait to see them.
- Last but definitely not least… BLACK GIRLS ROCK by Beverly Bond was release this week. I received my copy tomorrow but I’m super excited about it!
Wasn’t this a lot of exciting news for one month that came and went faster then any other month. THANK YOU BLACK HISTORY MONTH, YOU WERE AMAZING!!!!
Keep living , loving and traveling!!